Yosemite National Park, California, USA

Yosemite National Park, California, USA
Yosemite National Park, California, USA. Beautiful, awesome place, would love to go hear again.

Monday, 27 December 2010

Jealous, yes I know that's wrong

Two posts to follow.  One a general and boring catchup one, saying what I've been up to and how I've been, to document it for my own benefit as much as anyone else's who might want to read it.  And two, a Christmas post.  But I feel the need to skip to this one for now.  

We're at Paul's dad's.  A year or so ago they got a huge large flat screeen TV.  Also in the last years or two they've got a Wii fit, and XBox 360 and and PS2.  in the 4 months since we've last been here they've got another small flat screen TV for the wii and the PS2, new laminate flooring in the front room, and expensive new saofa and chair.  And for Christmas there Christmas present to each other, a XBox 360 Kinnect or something like that.  

It just annoys me that they live off benefits, don't spend it wisely, buy unnecessary things then complain about being skint.  They get a lot more in benefits than Paul earns, which annoys me in itself.  Roll on the benefits cap I say.  

We live sensibly within our means, are only debt is our mortgage and a loan Paul got to buy his car.  We don't use credit cards or buy anything on credit.  We have enough to live off and are happy, we just don't have a lot spare, can't afford holidays that don't involve staying with family or expensive clothes etc.  We have all the essential things and God provides for all our needs and sometimes our wants!!  I know I should be happy with this and most of the time I an content and happy with this and thank God for what we do have, that he is faithful and he provides.  But it just bugs me the way Paul's dad lives.  

So yes, God supplies all our needs and some of our wants... I was going to put boots on my Christmas list as a decent pair of boots is at least £50.  But then I found some that I liked in a charity shop and my size at the end of October.  I can't remember how much they were about £25 I think, but I bought them.  And have worn them nearly everyday since then.  

Another thing, I phoned Child Tax Credits and said I wasn't working any more and was unlikely to work again this financial year.  They gave us extra money.  This was nearly as much as we have spent on all the Christmas presents.  This was great as otherwise most of the Christmas presents would have been bought out of my very cheap to use overdraft.  

So  God is good, God provides.  I love my God.  He is greater than the things that annoy me and upset me.  He is bigger than my problems.  I know for sure that I would not have survived my teenage years without my God.  He's the best!!  

And now to bed, as I doubt the children will sleep through.  Night all.  

3 comments:

  1. I'm impressed at the strength of character that came through as you worked through this post. I have similar conversations with my own head, but not always ending in the 'but it's ok, He provides all I need'. I am getting much better at it, for we have been very blessed by His grace recently, and for that I am massively grateful. We are comfortable, happy (not necessarily warm due to broken boiler) but my daughter wakes with a smile every morning and brings one to me, for that, I can only thank God, every single day. Thankyou for the reminder. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My annoyance probably didn't come through very well, lol. The thing with Paul's dad really bugs me. But at the end of the day I know although material things are nice, they are not important. Yes, I am very thankful for my happy smiley children. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I can tell where you're coming from. It drives me scatty too when I see the lifestyle some people seem to sustain whilst on benefits, whilst the rest of us work really hard for much less extravegance. And yes, we all know it's not *supposed* to be about material things, but it's really hard not to envy it.

    I really used to feel this (well something similar) when I was a student, and I had to work as well as amassing huge debts, and still relatively scrape by. It never really seemed fair that none of my friends had to work or get into the amount of debt that I did, and always had a lot more than me. It's really hard not to feel jealous and want it. It looks so easy for them! And it feels so unfair!

    ReplyDelete